Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"Synopsis" painting #55

"Synopsis" painting #55 Today it was my MIL Linda who created the topic. Truth being told I was not a good commercial artist. She was looking for a cross with sunflowers and long story short that did not work out. It happens to me from time to time that I go completely off the reservation. This was my Achilles heal as a young hopeful money making  artist. When I was fancying myself a commercial artist I would be brilliant for period of time and then the tangent would happen. You have to be honest with yourself in art. Who am I? Why do I paint and who do I paint for? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!!!!
It is the singularity of art which is both everything and nothing. I do not cure illness,  build roads, map stars, or produce food for a hungry world. I do however address a hunger that is intangible and profane.
So it was sunflowers and a butterfly. We have been to the butterfly exhibit and that really went deep for me. Seeing my kids react as if they were seeing fairies. At one point my son reacted as if he was being attacked by a fierce beast when a delicate white one drifted down to land on him. It was a wonderful day and that was a residue I was still feeling. It all steeps in!



No comments:

Post a Comment